All of the GoPro mini action cameras work with the tiniest memory cards there is on the market – microSD. Don’t forget to get your memory card when you are buying yourself a new GoPro camera because they do not come with memory cards. In most cases, all of the GoPro cameras can work with almost every microSD card you can find, but like in every case, there are some thing you should be aware and watch for when choosing a memory card for your camera.
First of all, not every microSD card gives you best value for your money, but this doesn’t mean that you have to spend a lot of money for one of the best cards on the market. One good quality card is enough for you to enjoy a lot of recording time with your GoPro.
Here is the time to mention that some GoPro cameras work with microSD cards up to a 64GB capacity, but most recent models can be fitted with a 1TB card without any problem. Remember though, that the cards must be Class 10, which shows its minimum speed rating (writing and reading speed). The Class 10 is with the fastest speed and is what is usually recommended for optimal results while using your GoPro.
So, if you want to buy your first memory card, or you need a backup one to have the opportunity to record for a longer time, you probably want a microSD that combines good value, speed and reliability and we are going to give you plenty of options to choose from. Keep in mind that they are for 64GB cards, because of the limitation that some GoPro cameras have, but most of cards, if not all, have a bigger version with 1TB capacity.
Best micro SD Cards for GoPro
Memory cards for GoPro
SanDisk 512GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - Up to 160MB/s, C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-512G-GN6MA
1 used from $60.34
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD videos (2); Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast Shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of reaching such speeds
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready (2) with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and video Speed Class 30 (V30) (5)
- Rated A2 for faster loading and in app Performance (8). Compatible with microSDHC, microSDXC, microSDHC UHS-I, and microSDXC UHS-I supporting host devices
- Built for and tested in harsh conditions: temperature Proof, Water Proof, shock Proof and x ray Proof(4)
Like the name suggests, the card is extremely fast, even faster than the GoPro needs, but it is one excellent product for the value. Also it comes with a SD adapter, so you can use it with other gadgets too if you need to.
SanDisk 512GB Ultra MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - 100MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, A1, Micro SD Card - SDSQUAR-512G-GN6MA
- Ideal for Android smartphones and tablets, and MIL cameras
- Capacities up to 512GB (1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes. Actual user storage less) to store even more hours of Full HD video (Approximations; results and Full HD (1920x1080) video support may vary based on host device, file attributes and other factors.)
- Up to 100MB/s transfer read speed (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on host device, interface, usage conditions and other factors.) lets you move up to 1000 photos in a minute (Based on 4.1GB transfer of photos (Average file 3.5MB) with USB 3.0 reader. Results may vary based on host device, file attributes and other factors.)
- Load apps faster with A1-rated performance (A1 performances is 1500 read IOPS, 500 write IOPS. Based on internal testing. Results may vary based on host device, app type and other factors.)
- Class 10 for Full HD video recording and playback (Full HD (1920x1080) video support may vary based upon host device, file attributes, and other factors.)
This is one of the more subtle memory cards from the most popular and bestselling line of SanDisk. It speed is not that great like with the SanDisk Extreme, but is very decent and enough for the GoPro needs. Just watch for the new SanDisk brand changes for which there are now two versions of the Ultra on the market. You need the new one which is with red and gray, so don’t buy the older which is entirely gray, actually even dark gray. The new and better SanDisk Ultra even comes with a SD adapter, and the old ones doesn’t.
Lexar High-Performance MicroSDHC 300x 32GB UHS-I w/Adapter Flash Memory Card (old U3 version) LSDMI32GBBNL300A
- Premium memory solution for tablets, sports camcorders, and smartphones
- Quickly captures, plays back, and transfers media files, including 1080p full-HD, 3D, and 4K video
- Leverages UHS-I technology for a transfer speed up to 300x (45MB/s)
- Stores up to 8 hours of HD video; 24,800 photos; or 14,200 songs
- Includes high-speed, Class 10 card and SD adapter
Well, what can we say about Lexar. One of the biggest players on the memory card market, that is popular with its high quality products. The 300X is one of them and the card is fast enough to meet every speed requirement of the GoPro cameras. Fast and cheap – great choice and bang for the buck. It even comes with an USB adapter, great, huh?
Samsung EVO Plus Class 10 Micro SDXC with Adapter, 512GB (MB-MC512GA)
- Simply the right card
- Fulfil your need for speed
- Extended compatibility
The EVO series are Samsung’s middle class memory cards and it is enough for what you will need for your GoPro mini action camera. It will be totally useless if you target the high class products, because your camera will work great with this one. The EVO comes with a SD adapter.
Kingston Digital SDCR/512GB Canvas React 512GB microSDXC Class 10 microSD Memory Card UHS-I 100MB/s R Flash Memory High Speed microSD Card with Adapter
- Designed for action : your subject doesn't slow down and neither should your card; If you need a card with high speed burst mode or 4K Support, Look no further
- 4K video : The advanced UHS I U3 interface and V30 video speed Class make the card ideal for cinema quality 4K video
- Made for Android1 : These cards have A1 app performance to provide faster app launches and a better Android experience
- Durable : for your peace of mind, the card has been extensively tested and proven to be waterproof, shock and vibration proof, x ray proof, and temperature proof
Kingston is not a big player on the memory card market like SanDisk or Lexar, but the company is making some really good products. Their microSD cards are great, with Class 10 speed rating and high capacity, making them pretty good choice for GoPro cameras. They are really cheap and you can’t go wrong with them. The Kingston microSD cards come with a SD adapter.
Transcend 128GB MicroSDXC Class10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter 45 MB/s (TS128GUSDU1)
- Supports Ultra High Speed Class 1 specification (U1); Class 10 compliant
- Up to 45 MB/s
- Smooth Full HD video recording performance
- Ideal upgrade for smartphones, tablets, and digital cameras
- Compatible with devices with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC slot
This company, like Kingston, often is beneath the buyers’ radar, but makes some good in terms of quality and price memory cards. Their middle class products meet the requirements for speed of the GoPro cameras and can be bought for really cheap. They come with a SD adapter as well.
And for final, let us give you some tips if you are new in the whole GoPro and memory cards thing. It is always kind of good idea to format your cards from time to time, but do it in the camera, not on your computer. Also keep in mind that like every electronic device, the memory cards fail sometimes without any symptom, so always have a backup pieces and test them before recording.